Monday, May 3, 2010

Scream Line

She did one of these: just kept walking. I did one of these: hold the door, contorting myself so the smallest straggler could play london bridge.

The tiny basketball team could use a little help on its zone defense. The obvious center, nickname of Mom (no, I don't think it was tattooed on her arm), out in front with a little bit of surprising speed. One underfoot, two more hugging the sideline, one forgotten back court. And me.

Mom, as I mentioned, in front, checking off the daily errand list. Mostly unaware of the positioning of her team. Completely unaware of the newly added sixth man. My height may have been a clue but I hung to the center like glue, successfully infiltrating the crew.

Onward went Mom through the parking lot, the five of us in tow. She never batted an eye, never bowed a shoulder, never dropped a syllable:

"So who remembers what we're doing next? Anyone know where we're going now?"

Cute. Making errands fun. Like game. Count me in:

"ICE CREAM! WE'RE GOING FOR ICE CREAM!" Ooh, that was me, and that was out loud. My cover is blown.

But Mom never missed a beat, Mom's got game! "Are you paying?"

"Sure--let's do it!"

No comments: