Monday, February 1, 2010

I Don't Want To Talk About It

Have you heard the one about the hamster and the elephant? Grab onto your seat, you won't believe this one.

A hamster and an elephant walk into a bar...no, no, no. But you do know about the Salt Flats and White Rim of Evil, yes? The countless flats, Pot Canyon, yada yada??

Somewhere along the way my bike became unstable. VERY unstable. I mean I hit those chasms hard! I checked everything: tires, rims, spokes, frame, headset, tires, rims, frame, headset, tires, frame....you get the picture.

I couldn't find the culprit. Then I put on new tires, new fenders, and I did straighten the handlebars (maybe). Then I started my new job. That's when the trouble always happens.

I took the trail. The bumpy, icy, snowy trail. I almost cried. Oh, I am not joking. I missed my slick tires for sure. The zip tie holding my back fender in place was jostled from its secure function...I didn't even know that could happen!

This caused the already squeaky fenders to drag on my already bulky tires. Hamster meet elephant. I pedallyed and pedallyed like a hamster on a wheel and felt like I was dragging an elephant.

I stopped several times, trying to settle my uneasiness of the ride. After the trail torture, the unstableness was worse. Tire, rim, frame....nothing. Riding home later that night I was afraid to turn the corner, I thought the bike might split in two.

Somewhere along the way, like a flash of bright light (that's my tires up there by the way), I had an epiphany, a thought, an idea. I stuck my head in my ass and there was the answer.

And after I tightened the ever increasingly loosening seat bolt all was well and good again.

THE END.

No comments: