Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow White

Pure as the ridden snow. I finally got to use my snow tires today! Now, please may I never have to use them again. 

This is about my trip.  Or at least that is the guise I am using to hook you in.  Not that it matters, I have one solid reader and .5 various others.  My faithful follower?  A doctor, so I can say whatever I like.

You've guessed it, another blasted post about my period. I won't get into the specifics of it, but you well know it's a troublesome time in my life. And it's poised to impact my travels. But this is really about math so hang in there.

So I pulled out a pen and paper, calculator, calendar, and ancient abacus. All in an effort to pinpoint the exact moment of its arrival. I don't like surprises.  I like them even less on 20 hour plane rides. And once I realized the time change of traveling across the globe might present a variable I hadn't anticipated I was face to face with a complex puzzle. 

It was starting to play out like a brow scrunching word problem in a college level Prob and Stat class. If I leave on a plane at 6:00 UTC/GMT +8 hours from an area with no DST to arrive EST 19:00 and Aunt Flo arrives 2 hours later on the same plane how many times will I need get up and go stuff myself into a tiny excuse of a CR during that flight?

See? Tougher than Rubiks Cube. I can promise you this, I'd be up and down more times than a Jane Fonda workout tape. But just as I was about to fully panic I reconsulted the calendar.  Phew, I was an entire week off.  You'd a thought I just found out I wasn't pregnant.  And believe me the first person I'd tell is the doctor at Sibley! (see if you were the faithful reader, you'd get that)

But the math problem of the whole ordeal is still intriguing.  And I'm thinking if the word problems I actually did encounter in freshman math read like this I might have paid closer attention.  If your tampon has the capacity of .0001 litres of liquid, which is absorbed at a rate of .001 litres per 48 minutes how often would you need to change it during an overseas flight, oh and by the way you are wearing snowy white pants. Now THAT I might have paid attention to. I really didn't think it'd be necessary to work through the trajectory of a satellite leaving orbit.

No comments: