Friday, June 13, 2008

Version 3.5: Hauling Ass

After a day of staring down the Rockies we finally hit them at nightfall. Suprise, suprise, it fell on Denise again; she's turning into our designated climber. Jim and I were navigating H1 and I was peering out a pitch black window. He asked what it looked like down there. I said, dunno, but I feel like it's beautiful. Straining to make out the light patches, I said, that looks like snow or something. I rolled down the window felt the crisp air and realized we were now cruising the caps we saw all day. Just about that time a creature crawled from beneath the midnight presenting itself like a possum. It crossed in front of us, stopped on the center line, did the hokey pokey, turned itself around, and that's about all it had. He plopped and watched us and the RV pass inches from its grey nappy head o hair. I'm gonna have to call it a porcupine, but I've never seen one before. Meanwhile the girls were struggling with the cold, the climb, the darkness, and the super thin air. They zoomed across the mountain pass at a scary 40mph by the light of the moon. They then took us to the highest point on RAAM at over 10,000 feet. Somewhere that night I must have fallen asleep for my usual 10 minutes because I remember waking up looking for a bathroom. We were parked at a dark gas station and I saw employees inside milling about. I thought, cool, they are about to open I hope soon. I totally thought it was about 5 am and so did a couple other people. I overheard someone saying eleven and wondered what that pertained to. Yep, it was ONLY 23:00. Weird. The girls called us asking for backup after a job well done. They knocked down the San Juan Mountain range and handed the boys a killer descent.

No comments: