Friday, June 13, 2008

Day Three: One Tired Puppy


We started the day coming through Monument Valley at dawn. This was a freebie thanks to that flat tire; we should have hit it at the dead of night. Robin confirmed it was a beautiful day to ride. She spoke of the solitude and a quiet so peaceful you could appreciate the lift of a bird's wings. Coming across Colorado was complete de ja view for me. It was the exact route I took last fall on my way to Telluride with all the same sights. The bright sunlight fell across the snow capped mountains in the distance reminding us of what was yet in store. On a technical note it feels like the RV crew is suffering. I haven't spent enough time in there yet to feel the groove, but something feels off. I feel a little tension, I've heard some snappy comments, and everyone looks wiped out. I tried more than once to steer the RV away from the RAAM route unsuccessfully. What we trained for is NOT happening and we NEED to adjust. Mark seems unyielding to veer from the printed schedule. Unfortunately, as Brenda pointed out repeatedly by stopping at every time station and doing a complete rotation, the crew was not getting enough time in their sleep shift. We were also constantly chasing time stations by getting a late start and having them be so short a distance. I wanted to use the maps to find the quickest route on the smoothest surface for the optimal in-transit sleep for the RV. I wanted to deviate from the preconceived non-functional schedule...no, I wanted to obliterate it with an M16. I wanted to use our strengths and work as a team helping each other out. I wanted to double shifts to allow for a longer sleep cycle. I wanted the crew chief's cooperation. Most of all I wanted Mike to shut up and ride.

No comments: