Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Black, Ride Fleas

Why do you do this? Well now that's one I'm not sure I can answer. I am lacking that competitive gene, I have no desire to pedal the countryside, and you are right, I do hate me a car.

But you cannot deny powering yourself across the country is nothing short of amazing. Birds do it. Bees do it. No Ella, educated fleas do not do it, they hop on board for a parasitic ride.

Imagine soaring across the floor of Utah's Monument Valley, beneath the shadow of California's sand dunes, even through the vast nothingness of New Mexico/Kansas/Oklahoma, man that stretch goes on forever. Just you and the wind and the setting or rising sun: INCREDIBLE.

But that's not for me, not this time. I would rather lend a hand to help another rider reach his/her potential. Oh good god, cue Bette Midler.

I would rather write the songs, light the stage, open the mics, not star center stage. I am much happier hiding in the wings (oh, not again).

I will learn a lot about other people and even more about myself. I can't think of a better vacation. I love just watching life unfold and I can't think of a better place to pull up a chair.

No comments: