Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spell Define


Can you use it in a sentence? Man, I need to get me one of those Urban Dictionaries. I ain't in the sticks anymore.

Out there when someone says, throw the horse over the fence some hay, I know what they mean. We use words like blooing and read (pronounced red and used to describe cleaning a room). We use a sweeper to clean the carpet and you plug it into the wall. That way you never have to know how to spell vaccuuum.

Here in the big city, I'm lost. First there's the word cancel, which I hate. I hate it the most in airports. It's never good when you are in an airport, but even for the viewing public at home it sucks. Typically you see the word cancelled on the tv screen underneath the word canceled chyroned or full screened by said station.

It irks me. It irks me even more when you call a company to cancelllll your membership and they go ahead and cashhhh your check. All of this because I tried to right a wrong THEY committed, automatically charging someone's account besides my own. I should have let well enough alone.

But I tried to fix it. Then there was the fuzzy math. Last year I paid less than $130, this year they wanted to charge me $170. What's the hizzy I say?? I am quoted membership jargon that states I agree to a 10% increase. Here again I misunderstood either the 10 or the % or the increase.

I gave in. I argued a losing battle and I was clearly ill equipped. I am not versed in the colloquialisms they spouted. I paid the money. They ccaanncceelleedd my membership. I canceeled my check. Or so I thought. Here again, I fell into the Urban Word trap.

When I said stop payment I thought they would NOT cash the check. I thought that's what they told me. That's how I understood the process to work. Otherwise, I'm not really sure of the point. Was it the stop or the payment I screwed up?

In this case, two negatives have DEFINITEly positively made a mistake.

No comments: