Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Anyone?

"You're gonna need to give a presentation to some 5th graders in about an hour. Oh, it will be fine, you'll be done in plenty of time for your other job. I'll give you a map. It's right down the street...."

I'm sorry, WHAAATT?? Go back....hour, presentation, 5th graders...whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

Map? Close? FOCUS! You put the lead out there and then buried it with 'who cares!' Speak to a group of kids, no preparation, no visual aids, almost no bike!??

"You'll be fine. You have a t-shirt, brochures, take the DVD..." Oh sure, 10 year olds LOVE brochures! And what, I wave the red shirt and they charge at me? Yikes.

So I go. Make brief intros with big people. I say, "I couldn't be LESS prepared for this." And I watched my panic wash onto someone else. Cute. I had extra, I thought I'd share.

She says, "What, you've NEVER done this before?" Nope, never.

"Okay, well it's a group of several classes--about 160 kids." I'm sorry, again WHAAATTT?? As in one hundred and sixty?

Let me get this straight, I'm about to give an hour long presentation to 160 eleven year olds with not a lick of preparation? Yeah, I got this. And my boss--a dead man.

I opened with, "So who here drinks beer?" It's true, that was my very first question. God knows I needed one.

1 comment:

James said...

HAHAHA!! That's awesome. I'm sure you did well... or at least managed not to commit any major felonies. Big question is, in this day and age, how many kids raised their hand to the beer question??