Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ten Bucks A Pop

Wawawa...where do I start?

I hate salt, have I mentioned that yet this season? I don't know if that has any relevance, I just wanted to put it out there.

5am: do you know where your air is? While you were sleeping, I was seeping.

I fell into a white rimmed chasm, that much is true. Whether or not that had anything to do with the following events is undetermined.

Right there in front of 9 I went flat. Like a pancake. Hey looka me...I can make pancakes! But this is not where I want to show off my talent. After all, 9 is where I found out I had no special skills.

So I pumped. I made it two blocks. I was short on time, I had to make a decision. I went with change it, what choice did I have? I had spare gloves! Ha, shed the lobsters, put on the...what's this....an open compartment...where....I....leave...the....

I had no tire levers. Not a one. I look at the empty pocket, the tire, the empty pocket, the tire, the clothes and food in the bag. I couldn't McgYVer my way out of this one. But what option did I have?

I want to plan yvents I HAVE to find a way. I dig for my pliers. They get under there, but I need something else. Maybe another set? I often have two. I pulled out a multi-tool. Allens, well that's really it, perhaps the missing half is more of the multi...this was just tool.

What's this, a tire lever like device attached. Perfect. Tire starts to wedge off. A district cop passes and turns and turns on his lights. He turns again and pulls up next to my shivering ass buried in snow.

Looks like you are okay? Need to sit in here to warm up your hands for a bit? Really? Nope I might be okay, I query. "I'll wait," he says and shines light on my cause.

He then offers to take the wheel to a gas station for air if my pump isn't working. This dude must have done this before. I told him I didn't think I had my converter since I didn't even have tire levers. He said he lived close and could run home if I needed something. Again, really?

And he waited. I had two police officers on either side blocking Wisconsin for me. I wasn't even on the street. I was amazed and proud. And glad that I hadn't run a single red light the whole way there. And this is why I ride via Bethesda way.

I pumped up, packed up, and pedallyed on. I waved, he tooted his siren, and away we went. I c r u i s e d....trying to make it on time. I walked in the door at 6:00 on the dot.

I tried not to think about the cold or my tire or my half filled tube of air all day. But you always wonder, will it be flat again when I leave? SUCCESS...I pushed the back tire...still aired. GREAT!

I unlocked it, loaded up, turned it, and hopped on my incredibly flat front tired bicylcle. Are you joking? Flat number two, tire levers still zero, and spare tubes, well one, but not the right size.

I looked up at my towering new 'home' and realized I was all alone. My only chance of help had turned up as flat as my tire. I rode to Metro, found my card didn't work, and repumped my tire. It was flat at the end of the street. I walked across my ex-bridge, you know, they Key to my unhappiness, and wandered into the bike shop on the other side.

I asked if someone could please put me back on this bicycle? "It will cost $7 for me to change it." Yes, I will pay anything just make it roll and get me home please. And throw in more air, more tubes, and tire levers if you don't mind.

No comments: