Sunday, February 19, 2012

What a Difference A Bike Makes

Sitting here in my hotel room half a globe away from what I call home, I have found the meaning of life. I'm not surprised, it's why I came. I expected big things, and as you will find out in days to come, big things are happening. See, I'm a day ahead, so you just wait and be patient.

So here's the thing, Manila has it's moments of utter and complete grossness. Headaches, burning throat, itchy eyes, the cloud of doom swallowing the city. It's hard to deny the amount of smog here. Exercising is challenging on just about any day.  But look! On a less congested Sunday, things clear up.

Okay, so the traffic is a nightmare. I mean NIGHTMARE, DC lighten up! You don't know rush hour! The lines on the road, a suggestion. It takes forever to get anywhere. They actually regulate traffic by the number on your license plate, which just forces families to have two cars, odd and even.

The food...have I mentioned the bacon? I'm not sure how many vegetables I've consumed but I bet you can count on one hand. Cooked in fat. Sugar. Butter. Meat, greasy meat. The skin of pig. At all hours of the day. What?! Two hours have passed? Aren't you hungry??

So there's traffic, and not enough exercise, and cholestrol through the roof. No one is ever on time. Socialization takes place in text and fb. And yet these folks are just as healthy as can be. American guidelines be damned. They are living for years and years. I know, I've been hanging out with some cool old people.

Here's the key...they aren't stressed. About anything. The traffic, no big deal. Really, oh yeah, I guess it's smoggy. Let's go eat! They don't even know what LATE means. They just take everything as it comes. It must be the key to good living. And I believe that, it's what I've been striving for for years.

I think this answers the question I came here to solve. Excellent. I can come home now. Thanks.

No comments: