Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tutu or Not Tutu?

I said I wasn't going to write about this, but it looks like I am. It's just another traffic incident, but with an Yvette ending (and that doesn't mean BAD, it just means unexpected).

First, if you want respect in the bike lane (or out) trying wearing a tutu. This might only work for half the population, but I'm telling you it works. People's nice as pie.

Once you take it off, however, look out! So heading down 14th was delightful. Coming back up...not so much.

Take the Porsche that cut me off. I took advantage of the top being down to spew words of disdain. Having learned earlier in the day I don't let drivers know enough when they screw up, I figured this was my chance.

He also took advantage of his convertible to spew his own discouraging words. But get this, like the girl in the SUV, I'm not exactly sure of his point. He informed us that here in DC the law is bikes are like vehicles!

Be still my heart. The words I long to hear. Bikes are vehicles. YES! Exactly, I say this ALL the time. WAIT, why is HE saying it...he just cut me off and stole my lane. "Yes Sir, why then did you just take my lane?" or maybe something not as eloquent...

Somehow we began arguing, although it seems to me we must have been saying the same thing, except that whatever that was it meant he could do whatever HE wanted and I could not. I just kept hearing vehicle and seeing my lane disappear.

It wasn't going well until my hero appeared at the edge of the curb. A complete stranger walking by. He looked down at mighty man in the car screaming at the Pride filled pixies and said simply, "you're an asshole." I couldn't have said it better myself. "THANK YOU"

Next time I'm going to sit in HIS lane and BLOCK it even AFTER the light turns green. When he gets mad and starts yelling and honking I'll simply shrug, throw up my hands and tell him my vehicle stalled and won't start. I called AAA, they should be here momentarily....

No comments: