Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Re-First Schwinn

I still ride my first Schwinn. It's a little bigger than this road demon's. She moved her foot out of the way so I could snap a pic of the my first Schwinn 'etched' on the chain cover.

Someday soon she'll outgrow it and donate it to Bikes for the World. If she takes care of it, like I did mine, it will be a great first bike for someone in Central America.

Or she can let it sit in the rain and rust til it doesn't spin anymore. It's a crime ranking just under painting brick. The brick painters should totally be thrown in prison. Rust Bucket Owners? Yes, prison. Maybe Lorton...hmmm...

So today a woman drags over her bike to donate. She says, you valuate these right? Yes, I can do that. Did you want to donate it? Well, unless you say it's $2,000. I chuckle, I can assure you it is not. She doesn't laugh.

I generously valued it at $50. We might be able to save the frame. And it is an adult bike. She was to say the least INSULTED. And I think, serious about that $2,000. I also didn't laugh. Or budge. Or respond.

But when I struggled with the pedals I considered offering her the wrench. How 'bout this if you can roll the bike I'll give you $20. $20 more if the pedals engage the chain. $20 if you can get the pedals off, here, you can use my wrench. We'll call it an even $100 if you can lower the seat and twist the handlebars. And if you compact your own bicycle I'll pay the $10 dollar shipping fee.

How comes we don't have a tip jar? Lemme guess, you fudge a little on your taxes?

No comments: