Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bike Go Boom

Since you mentioned perpendicular... I'm not sure if I should be impressed or frightened that I didn't notice the handlebar was no longer forming a right angle with the front wheel.

For several yards. I never noticed. And I think I steered the bike straight! But straight is all relative and up for personal interpretation when it comes to me anyway, as you well know.

Bad journalist. Look at me burying the lead--and you can good and see it's definitely bleeding. On with it! Today on my way to work, I put the bike DOWN. Hard. Boom!

And to think I've been entertaining the thought of mounting sans helmet. All the kids are doing it! I put the hat on, put the hat off, I put the hat on, and I bounced it off the ground, that's what it's all about! Thank sweet Biking Jesus.

Here's the sequence of events as I can best remember them: I drifted off trail, in slow motion. I counter corrected in real time. I spilt in double time, one eye filled with approaching asphalt. Just as my head was about to meet the pavement, time stopped....

Like Wyvie Coyote I froze a centimeter above the road, turned, looked back at the camera, and back at the ground. I saw my melon meet the asphalt splat! I collided with a concussion head on tee hee. meep meep.

I collected my brains and other personal items and retreated to the side of the trail. I tried to form sentences and solve complex physics equations. The force was so jarring it actually fixed my broken cell phone (that is no lie).

I should have maybe gone to the hospital. I was nauseous, the headache is starting, the whiplash waiting its turn. But there was no blood running from my ear and I was thirsty. Perhaps pour me a pint from the pub, at least there I can get a burger.

Just maybe call me later. To see how I am. Please. Thanks.

No comments: