Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chalk on Asphalt


I used to have a drawerful of letters. Now I have email. I used to have binders of photos. Click flickr. Checkbook, online. File cabinet of documents, USB stick. Books, e-readers. Address book with birthdays, facebook ate that archive.

Gone are the days of piles of papers, books of stamps, need for pens. Amen. As long as you have a computer you're all set. As long as you don't bump your head, forget your password, or lose an account. God forbid.

But get over it. You'll get a virus, lose a file. Reset your audio library. Outlive your USB stick. Your contacts will go in the drink, the backup will fail, your credit card account will be frozen. And you will survive.

Find the plus side. I could have dropped 75mil on this classic Picasso piece, but instead I joined the finite fanbase. I put a cool $5 into a buckful of chalk and drew it myself. Femme ala Fleur, 2011 Chalk on Asphalt, Yvillo collection. Limited showing...pending rain.

If you have a phobia of losing stuff, this isn't your century. We get it, upgrade it, lose it, break it, simply get tired of it. We don't hold on to much these day. Well, some of us. Others are still hoarding a Betamax in the basement, 8tracks in a drawer, 35mm film. I know bell bottoms came back and old school tunes line the beat in new rap tracks but your parachute pants ain't coming back. Let it go....

1 comment:

James said...

I know that driveway!
I also read a story that DVD is supposedly on the way out. I guess people can start making shiny wind chimes out of their movie collections.
Number of cell phone books lost to "the drink": 2