Saturday, July 2, 2011

The AutoBike


My dentist is always accusing me of grinding my teeth. I deny it, but today's trip up Newcastle clearly said different. I think I may have dropped two teeth. Damn autobike.

A recent discussion at work about car purchases brought about a lukewarm debate about manual transmissions. I like to control my car. I like to control my bike. I'm not a fan of automuch (think hamburger button).

And the AutoNazis always jump in your shift about choosing a manual transmission. They demand to know WHY? Snow? Here? Where it snows 3.5 days a year? Yes. Yes, I like to shift. I choose to shift. I shift on hills, at stop signs, around corners, to pass.

But you can shift an automatic. And what about traffic? I can't stand to shift in traffic, they say. Why, yes, I agree...this is why I ride a bike. And really? Are you really shifting your automatic car, like ever?

But a recent revolution on an old bike brought about a, well, a revolution. While I enjoy the control of a 5-speed manual tranmission, my bike of choice is a single speed. In a world where consumers need 21+ speeds, I prefer just one.

Don't get me wrong when I've got the 24 speeds I'm using about 14 of them, but you really only need about 2 or 3. Let me ask you, Mr. Needs-a-9-Speed-Triple-and-an-Automatic-Car, how many gears are you engaging on your overpriced Trek? About as many as you personally are shifting on your automatic car I bet.

No comments: