Friday, May 22, 2009

Triskaidekaphobia

First there was a note on the door. Then a letter in the mail. And a phone call. And another. And another. I would not be surprised if there were 13 calls between us.

Our authorized Service Person stopped by on 3-24-09 to install and/or replace an electronic device on your gas meter. We are sorry to have missed you. To schedule an appointment that is convenient to you please call...

POPPYCOCK!

First of all, no effort was made to gain entry for any such repair. I was home when this was placed upon my door.

Secondly, calling does not allow one to schedule anything except a return phone call, which could occur at any time over the next 48 hours. Tag, you are IT.

Trois, "appointment that is convenient"? Please define "convenient". On second thought, "appointment".

I have lost count, but I bet they aren't even really sorry they missed me. In fact, I would not be at all surprised if they missed me again. "Appointment."

Last, but not least, "electronic device"?? We lay folk call them "batteries". But these is special "gas battrees" I guess. Good for 13 years. Did you say thirteen years? As in unlucky 13? Friday the 13th? MS-13? Is that a spider?

My Lands Blue, could this be certain? A AA battery that lasts 13 years? And here I have been replacing my fire alarm batteries in tandem with my toothbrush. Wasteful foolishness. I need to get me some of them gas battrees.

Come to think of it if that there battree is monitoring my gas usage, maybe I just 'borrow' it? What's the harm in an idle gas meter? Then I can pop that 13 year battree in my bike light and ride gas free and seen for the next 13 years.

No comments: