Sunday, March 20, 2011

Snap, Splinter, Pop?

Well, I almost found out the answer to that question. What happens to Urbamboo when crossed with traffic? Well I'm still in one piece, but the trail is looking better every day.

I was sitting at a red light, ironically right in front of the hospital, which could have come in handy. There was a truck sitting also at the red light...or rather green light as his case may be. I watched him because it was curious. Everyone knows green means GO.

But he sat. With his eyes in his lap and his hands fumbling somewhere between. I'm sure he was looking for something, not something more inappropriately crude. None the less HE had the green. But HE was distracted.

When the light turned red (for him), green (for me) I hesitated, waiting for his eyes. Without eye contact you can never be sure what a driver is going to do. Sometimes you still can't.

I had a front row view of his eyes, up close and personal-like. They popped right out of his head as his left front bumper skimmed my personal bubble. In other words: thanks for that!

There he sat, waiting for the red light. Then, and only then, he decided to turn on red, phone in hand, eyes in lap. YES indeedy, he started operating his vehicle without ever looking up. That is UNTIL he was nose in to the intersection...where I sat track stood waiting for him to hit me.

We locked eyes, he stopped and let me go, and gave me an expression that did not really say, I'm so sorry or damn, that was close but rather more of a casual, oops my bad.

No comments: