Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Behave New World

When I was but a tater tot, I would yell to my mom in the kitchen from my spot in front of the TV: "can you make me a sandwich?" To which she always replied, "POOF, you're a sandwich!"

It bears no relevance, I just thought it was cute. Now, not then. Just a spin down memory lane. Back to a time when we did stuff. Played with things. Read books. Used paper. Breathed fresh air and drank real water.

It's true. We tagged merchandise, read newspapers, played outdoors, kept dairies (in books!), did math...in...our...heads. CahRAzY, I know! I actually used a thesaurus.

I knew how to find the square root of a number that wasn't a perfect square. Without a calculator. Google it! (did I just say that?) I dare you. Google square root. I can tell you what it says without looking: push this button.

Have you seen the new 360?!? You ARE the controller. Imagine, actually moving your body to manipulate a ball, bike, or racket! REVOLUTIONARY! A must Christmas have.

When I was that wee tater tot we got real balls, paper books, and drums you could pound. With your hand! Now it's all wiis, kindles, and guitar hero. And yes, I walked to school...in the snow, uphill, both ways.

And reporters checked sources. Writers were creative. Receptionists made appointments. You could order ala carte at McDonalds.

We didn't need a Cheeseburger Button. And we didn't have the internet to know if something was right or not! You're reading this here now, so it must be true!

No comments: