Monday, October 11, 2010

Nothing a Little Duct Tape Can't Fix

The thing about power tools is...they exist to make life easier. For things that are tough to cut through for example. Like metal, wood, trees that fall down in the middle of roads maybe. Flesh, not so much.

I mean, the power tool, be it a saw, router, drill, angle grinder, WILL cut right through the flesh....it's jut maybe overkill, so to speak. Really, you could get the job done with a razor blade, butter knife, piece of angry paper!

But that's so not me. FF to: I was balancing my metal angle grinder precariously with one hand as the other struggled to hold still the bottom bracket I was wanting to cut a slot into. FYI...they aren't really wanting a slot cut into them, especially through the threads and all, I'm just saying.

And at some point, while staring at my bare toed flip flops I thought, this is not my brightest moment. And yes I did think, I should use the vise, but it's all the way in the basement...a good 10 feet away.

So there I was cutting a bottom bracket sideways while holding the cup with my fingertips with a circulating grinder skidding its way across toward my unprotected hand. One slip and that slot is going...well you and I both know where it is going.

First you think it, then you do it! How many times have I uttered that blasted phrase? It's fine, I was wearing safety goggles.

Indeed, I now have a slot right there in my opposable thumb. No, it's not what I was going for, but I'm using it as a business card holder. It's fine, really. It's merely a fleshy wound.

3 comments:

James said...

And yet again, I would argue that you need a doctor!

ycycle said...

I have one! He's just about as far away as one can be. No matter how hard I try I can't draw him back.

James said...

Well, one of these days I'm coming to DC to interview, maybe even move back if they take me. Also, I need a bike mechanic!