Tuesday, January 27, 2009

White Lie

I like my margaritas frozen, no salt. Ditto on my winter roads.

Congratulations cycle-hatin’-drivers, you have successfully found the impetus to confine us to the trails and off your sloppy, gross roads. Enjoy.

NaBiCO3. Sodium Bicarpedate: the chemical cocktail of salt and sand that eats at bikers, cars, and pedestrians without discrimination.

It melts away the myth. “I love snow” “I miss the white stuff” “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.” This is a big fat lie.

We can’t get rid of it fast enough once it finally arrives. It’s a lot like your in-laws. You gush about how much you love it until it arrives then you count the minutes until it’s completely gone.

It’s like salt in an open wound. And we just keep pouring it in.

It should read: “I love the snow until it falls to Earth and almost kisses my asphalt, at which point I will pour upon it whatever toxic compound is necessary to erase all signs that it was ever there.”

No fender in the world is big enough to protect me from that salty spray. And so I detour my commute to the confines of the beautiful serene snowy white trail.

And I guess they dumped all the available salt on the snow because I woke up to an ice rink street. I think I even saw a zamboni drift by.

No comments: