Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Hope You Slept Well


This afternoon I was all prepared to pull up my soap box and start bickering...that is, after all, what I do best. Until....my girlfriend accused me of complaining...often.

Hmmph. Well, hmmph. It's true, I do. What can I say? It sells copy.

But there on my commute I was all armed with my camera for photographic evidence. Construction. New sidewalks. Oh, the irony! A neighborhood promoting pedestrian traffic that recently outlawed train whistles. Those evil, nasty, audible, safety promoting, train whistles. The nerve!

It's just beyond Linden Bridge. You remember Linden from posts of days gone by...I'm on Linden, I lower my stance, I can see the Beltway in just one glance! On second thought, maybe it's not a 'hood proud of safety.

Then, I was heading home tonight and I realized this issue is bigger than I originally thought! This goes beyond a neighborhood trying to sleep. A girl who misses her romantical train whistle. THIS affects my ego.

Now I'm not much of a gear head, my gadgets are few and far between. But I'm big on consistency. I know how fast I ride ergo I know how far I go. But we all like our confirmation, our pats on the back, our positive reinforcement, our ego boosts.

Tonight, I was robbed of mine. There I was pumping up the hill, in the dark of night, through a beating rain storm, okay, okay more of a benign drizzle...and there was a disturbing, taunting silence. My welcome home...no longer welcoming. My pat on the back, a snub of the nose.

Oh, I heard something in the near distance...it sounded...like...well....like a freight train, go figure, but the familiar whistle greeting me in the night, letting me know my pace is right on time...FIRED!

Hmmph. Some nerve. Yeah, I'm complaining, and your point is??

No comments: