Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm Here, Steer Clear, Get Used To It

And then I saw red. There, beneath the shadow of the SHARE THE ROAD sign, I almost met my demise. Picture the image of a pickup pulling out in front of a bike to get to the other side of the road. I guess, though, I'm the chicken; in the contest of flesh vs. metal, I backed down. I sensed his hesitation, anticipated his poor judgement, and prepared for the oil slicked, wet road as best two tires can. I narrowly missed the idiot truck, barely avoided the back wheel slippage, and came to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection in complete disbelief. Not 30 seconds later came the in-case-you-missed-it replay in the form of impatient white van. And, for those of you scoring, van vs. pedal pusher yields the same result. Just so you know: "BEEP!" when used from behind apparently translates into, "BEWARE! I AM ABOUT TO CUT YOU OFF". And so, Vehicular Indiscretion #2, cut me off after passing dangerously close and turned right right on top of me...just like he said he would. If only I knew English Driving Horn.

No comments: