Saturday, October 16, 2010

WWJD

Nobody likes a cheater. What?!!? It's not like she didn't know...she was there too. It might have been her idea, I can't quite remember.

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea I'd be going down that path again. I know I said I'd never fall into such foolishness again, but we were there, the roads were closed, what the hell...

And that is how I came to do my second marathon. NO, we didn't train! Please...it's only 26.2 miles. If either of us ever wakes up unable to bag less than 30, hell 50, miles somebody must shoot us.

It was amazing. It helps that we were supporting an actual marathon runner. That might have something to do with the open road. I suspect the packs of masses behind us filled the empty streets, but from where we were, it was smooth sailing.

And there it stood, bare and naked, begging to be ridden. A barricaded city street, coned, with one half completely empty.... For 26 miles. What Would Jure Do?

So we rode...the marathon. Really, did we have a choice? The cops danced in the streets, smiled, stopped traffic, and waved us on...no runners in sight. Stopped traffic, for us, the bikers. Have I died and gone to Cycleheaven?

Oh, there was an occasional, "look at the cheaters on bikes!" But mostly it was a supportive atmosphere. Cheers, and tigers, and gummy bears, oh my!

Hell yeah, I'd do a marathon again...once, twice, three times a day!

No comments: